Skip to main content

My Call Options Experience explained Simply

 So in my previous post, I detailed that I had started to experiment with Options Trading. None of this is advice, but just a description of my experience and thinking. I think that this was an interesting part of my experience in the past year because I didn't previously understand the appeal of some of the more complicated parts of the financial system despite being interested in it for a very long time. 

In the past few months, I've begun to take additional opportunities when I can with the shares that I own free and clear via covered calls. I've heard about this option more and I encourage people to read about it more if they are interested. However, this strategy works well for me. In my case, I own a large number of shares in my trading account of certain stocks or ETFs. 

It is my intention to buy more if we ever see a market drop. That said, I certainly don't intend to sell. Even in a crazy, 80% style drop like the great depression. I'm holding to zero. It's an extreme point of view. But for what I am going to describe, that is the standpoint where I think it makes sense.

Put simply, if I have 100 shares of stock ABC, and it is priced at 50 bucks, you might be willing to buy the right to get those shares at a higher price in the future, say 55 bucks within the next 30 days. What does this mean? It would be valuable for you if you managed money and you were believing that the stock would be going down. Why? Well, if your primary bet was that ABC sucked and it would tank, then you might be shorting it. In that case, you borrowed the stock and sold it at 50. You're betting it goes down, say to 45 and you can buy it back cheap and pocket the difference, 5 bucks a share.

What happens for sophisticated traders though, is that they sometimes see value in having insurance. In the scenario above, on ABC, they might want to minimize the downside. What if instead of going down as the other person thinks? Instead ABC spikes to 60. Now that person is hosed. They get called and have to pay 60 bucks a share, losing 10 bucks on each share.

Here's where the call comes in: They're sophisticated and know that sometimes things happen that are not as expected. So, they buy a call at 55. That means, in the bad case where it goes to 60, they still owe the difference, but they can recoup some of that by getting the shares from me at 55 instead of 60. A five dollar discount. Not bad right?

This is a great form of insurance for the other guy, but I'm giving something up here. Now, as a result of this, I lose all of the upside over 55 bucks. Why? Well, now he has the option to buy from me at this fixed price. So, for that option, I'm charging. Maybe 50 cents a share, maybe 2 bucks, or anything in between. Depending on the timeframe, the volatility of the stock and other factors, there is a market for these options.

What I like about this strategy though is simple: I'm not selling. And if you end up getting the stock from me at a higher price (we're selling calls that I have the shares for), then I still made some money: the fee of the option and the difference between the 50 and 55 in the example above. So, for options trading, I like this a fair bit. Of course, if the option is exercised, I'll sell my shares at that profit and I'm fine with it.

It's not the crazy you-only-live-once betting. Its just a few bucks usually. But, on a recurring basis, this can add up and I'm happy to get "paid to wait" while the stocks keep moving around while I have no intention of selling. If you're interested in options, I recommend you review educational materials, my broker provided some good information. It can really help make more sense of it. Have fun!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blogging WealthTrack: Christine Benz (Retire Early? Or not?)

 This morning I've watched an interesting video on Consuelo Mack: WealthTrack. Here, Consuelo's guest, a longtime contributor, Christine Benz, a personal finance expert from Morningstar joined Consuelo for a discussion on issues related to retirement, in particular in the current market environments. This conversation is even more interesting against the backdrop of The Great Resignation. I found Christine's advice to be particularly interesting on a couple of fronts. Her advice in dealing with talking about retirement in general, in particular for people who are in the process of thinking about retiring early gave me pause. She is considering the traditional advice of a 4 percent withdrawal rate to be dangerous and indeed, actually concerning. According to the recent research she cites, a 3% withdrawal rate is a better option. Even more than the four percent rule, I think that her comments on annuities are particularly interesting. While annuities have been given a bad nam

More Money Into Ibonds

 At this point, it seems like a well-known strategy for handling inflation: ibonds. While there was not much press about this, it is in fact something that I did late last year in order to capitalize on the fact that this interest rate was bound for up to 10000 dollars as part of my allotment for 2021. Then now that we're in the new year, I have moved another 10000 into the account. All of this can be done easily at http://treasurydirect.gov if you're willing to give up the fact that the money is locked up, that the interest rates to be paid will be somewhat lower than you could earn in the market, and you're able to ensure that you're not needing the money for the near future.  For me personally, I find that this is a great way to lock up about 25% of my emergency (safe) money instead of putting it into a High Yield Savings account. This interest rate changes every six months, but even if it is much lower, I think that we're going to be in much better shape than if

Credit Report Review

So, one of the things that I've started doing is trying to pull my credit reports at regular 4 month intervals so that I get a free one frequently to make sure that things are progressing as I'd like them to and also as a safeguard against identity theft. Of course, the part that I don't like is that these reports don't include a fico score - the key number when it comes to determining if you are going to be extended credit and at what interest rate. This time, I got the report from Equifax - I went to the end of the process and for 8 dollars more I could get my credit score. And the Equifax gave me a credit score of 742. This of course is not even close to the perfect score of 850 when it comes to fico score nirvana, but 742 is still a respectable fico score. Things to improve are basically lowering my balances on my credit cards and loans, which I already have a plan for. And also I noticed that the amount that I paid off on one of my loans is actually still being rep