Skip to main content

Are we recovering? I'm watching the Unemployment Rate

Are we recovering?

"Optimists point to the rapid decline in the unemployment rate after the first wave of the pandemic—from nearly 15% in April to 6.7% in November— as a reason for a speedy recovery. Pessimists' go-to statistic is the high and rising rate of the long-term unemployed, those who have been out of work for more than six months. It has risen from 0.7% of the labour force in February to 2.5% today."  -From The Economist - Jan 2, 2021 (America's Jobs Market. Speed Limits)

The article recounts the fact that many people who are long-term unemployed have indicated that they are only temporarily laid off, while history and shows that over time, many of these jobs may not come back.

Many people have dropped off the rolls altogether and are no longer looking for work. According to Jason Furman and Wilson Powell III of Harvard University, the real unemployment rate is 8.5%. 

Within the sectors of knowledge work, there has been a dramatic overnight shift to large numbers of jobs being "from anywhere". Millennials, not wanting to miss out, have traveled to friends and family along with a number of others to take advantage of this opportunity to travel with minimal impact or wasted vacation time.

How many people are available?

According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the percentage of civilians who are part of the workforce has declined 2 percentage points in the past year from 63% in Jan 2020 to 61% in Jan 2021. Put simply, there's more people by about a million, but fewer people working. (see https://www.bls.gov/news.release/pdf/empsit.pdf )

Unemployment is likely to remain an issue into the future, even if companies can report strong earnings and the United States is able to report strong GDP. In other words, we may have unemployment and underemployment even if the economy looks good on paper. In the BLS graph shown above, it shows a long period of low unemployment, in the 4% range whereas now it seems to be around 6%. If that is combined with the information mentioned by Furman and Powell, it could be still higher, maybe 7 or 8%. That's anywhere from a 50-100% increase in unemployment. That is a very serious impact. 

Higher unemployment will likely stifle pay increases. And furthermore, it will reduce ability for people to easily move around. 

With the collapse of city microcosms, gig jobs, restaurants and other services that were parts of normal working life have taken a serious hit. Also, durable goods like cars are not so critical if people are working from home and use cars less frequently. Combined with the decrease in travel, it is not clear if that will continue to be the case. 

Unemployment Target

I think that unemployment will be a strong indicator of how sustainable the recovery is. I care about that much more than PE ratios, GDPs, etc. If unemployment rate declines continue into 2021 and we once again approach a 4% unemployment, I will feel much more comfortable that we've seen our way through the worst of this. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blogging WealthTrack: Christine Benz (Retire Early? Or not?)

 This morning I've watched an interesting video on Consuelo Mack: WealthTrack. Here, Consuelo's guest, a longtime contributor, Christine Benz, a personal finance expert from Morningstar joined Consuelo for a discussion on issues related to retirement, in particular in the current market environments. This conversation is even more interesting against the backdrop of The Great Resignation. I found Christine's advice to be particularly interesting on a couple of fronts. Her advice in dealing with talking about retirement in general, in particular for people who are in the process of thinking about retiring early gave me pause. She is considering the traditional advice of a 4 percent withdrawal rate to be dangerous and indeed, actually concerning. According to the recent research she cites, a 3% withdrawal rate is a better option. Even more than the four percent rule, I think that her comments on annuities are particularly interesting. While annuities have been given a bad nam

More Money Into Ibonds

 At this point, it seems like a well-known strategy for handling inflation: ibonds. While there was not much press about this, it is in fact something that I did late last year in order to capitalize on the fact that this interest rate was bound for up to 10000 dollars as part of my allotment for 2021. Then now that we're in the new year, I have moved another 10000 into the account. All of this can be done easily at http://treasurydirect.gov if you're willing to give up the fact that the money is locked up, that the interest rates to be paid will be somewhat lower than you could earn in the market, and you're able to ensure that you're not needing the money for the near future.  For me personally, I find that this is a great way to lock up about 25% of my emergency (safe) money instead of putting it into a High Yield Savings account. This interest rate changes every six months, but even if it is much lower, I think that we're going to be in much better shape than if

Credit Report Review

So, one of the things that I've started doing is trying to pull my credit reports at regular 4 month intervals so that I get a free one frequently to make sure that things are progressing as I'd like them to and also as a safeguard against identity theft. Of course, the part that I don't like is that these reports don't include a fico score - the key number when it comes to determining if you are going to be extended credit and at what interest rate. This time, I got the report from Equifax - I went to the end of the process and for 8 dollars more I could get my credit score. And the Equifax gave me a credit score of 742. This of course is not even close to the perfect score of 850 when it comes to fico score nirvana, but 742 is still a respectable fico score. Things to improve are basically lowering my balances on my credit cards and loans, which I already have a plan for. And also I noticed that the amount that I paid off on one of my loans is actually still being rep