Skip to main content

2021 Investing Themes Presented by iShares/Blackrock

 I attended an interesting presentations given by IShares/Blackrock with the goal of showing how to use their ETF products to capitalize on investing themes for 2021:

Gargi Pal Chaudhuri - Head of iShares Markets & Investments Strategy

Dorothy Lariviere - iShares Product Consultant

iShares (by BlackRock) - 2021 Outlook: New President, COVID-19, and Policy

I found that this presentation was quite interesting. The presenters included two women which was a pleasure to see and they were quite intelligent and well-spoken. I don't advocate for any particular investment or forecast, but I thought that the summary was interesting and if you want to review the particular symbols they mention as ways to act on these themes, they are included at the end.

US GDP Forecasts Above 6% for 2021

This presentation included a forecast that perhaps is not too shocking, but a positive report that GDP looks to be positive and a substantial number. The drivers for this include the ongoing fiscal and monetary policy along with progress on the covid vaccines. Indeed, the fiscal policy is close to ~25% of GDP. 

Inflation Expectations are around 2-2.5%

Hawkish fed watchers may be concerned, but the presenters were not overly concerned with the increase in the 10 year treasury rates (up around 1.5% as of my writing this). According to the presenters there are variety of factors driving this including:

  1. Bottlenecks within supply chains
  2. Pent-Up demand as stores and the economy open back up
  3. Commodity price increases
Put simply, the presenter is not concerned with inflation or rising rates that are modest (she mentioned about 25 bps from here) with the idea that it is important that the amount of growth is part of the amount of increase in real economic activity. 

Ongoing Themes Strong

The ongoing theme of transition from brick-and-mortar continues. The ongoing theme of the fed being accommodative is expected to continue for quite some time. And the theme of globalization is expected to continue. This led to the most interesting recommendation from my perspective in the presentation, the recommendation to consider Emerging Markets, in particular because global growth and commodity price upswing should help in that area.

Personally, I had rebalanced and found that one area I moved into was Emerging Markets. Of course there's danger that this is just confirmation bias, but I found that the information was interesting. If you want to see the information I saved from the slides, shoot me a message. 

Tickers Mentioned in the Presentation

MCHI: 
IShares MSCI China ETF
IEMG: iShares Core MSCI Emerging Markets ETF
EMXC: iShares MSCI Emerging Markets ex China ETF

XT:
iShares Exponential Technologies ETF
IDNA: iShares Genomics Immunology and Healthcare ETF

FALN: iShares Fallen Angels USD Bond ETF
USHY: iShares Broad USD High Yield Corporate Bond ETF

If you are a Fidelity client, keep an eye out for these kinds of presentations which is where I caught this one. This one was great. I've seen others offered by Vanguard as well and I was pleasantly surprised. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blogging WealthTrack: Christine Benz (Retire Early? Or not?)

 This morning I've watched an interesting video on Consuelo Mack: WealthTrack. Here, Consuelo's guest, a longtime contributor, Christine Benz, a personal finance expert from Morningstar joined Consuelo for a discussion on issues related to retirement, in particular in the current market environments. This conversation is even more interesting against the backdrop of The Great Resignation. I found Christine's advice to be particularly interesting on a couple of fronts. Her advice in dealing with talking about retirement in general, in particular for people who are in the process of thinking about retiring early gave me pause. She is considering the traditional advice of a 4 percent withdrawal rate to be dangerous and indeed, actually concerning. According to the recent research she cites, a 3% withdrawal rate is a better option. Even more than the four percent rule, I think that her comments on annuities are particularly interesting. While annuities have been given a bad nam

More Money Into Ibonds

 At this point, it seems like a well-known strategy for handling inflation: ibonds. While there was not much press about this, it is in fact something that I did late last year in order to capitalize on the fact that this interest rate was bound for up to 10000 dollars as part of my allotment for 2021. Then now that we're in the new year, I have moved another 10000 into the account. All of this can be done easily at http://treasurydirect.gov if you're willing to give up the fact that the money is locked up, that the interest rates to be paid will be somewhat lower than you could earn in the market, and you're able to ensure that you're not needing the money for the near future.  For me personally, I find that this is a great way to lock up about 25% of my emergency (safe) money instead of putting it into a High Yield Savings account. This interest rate changes every six months, but even if it is much lower, I think that we're going to be in much better shape than if

Credit Report Review

So, one of the things that I've started doing is trying to pull my credit reports at regular 4 month intervals so that I get a free one frequently to make sure that things are progressing as I'd like them to and also as a safeguard against identity theft. Of course, the part that I don't like is that these reports don't include a fico score - the key number when it comes to determining if you are going to be extended credit and at what interest rate. This time, I got the report from Equifax - I went to the end of the process and for 8 dollars more I could get my credit score. And the Equifax gave me a credit score of 742. This of course is not even close to the perfect score of 850 when it comes to fico score nirvana, but 742 is still a respectable fico score. Things to improve are basically lowering my balances on my credit cards and loans, which I already have a plan for. And also I noticed that the amount that I paid off on one of my loans is actually still being rep