Skip to main content

Parental Home Sales motivate me to Save


Selling your house sucks. At least that is my view after seeing my parents struggle in various situations to sell their house. I work with someone who is very smart. He doesn't believe in real estate personally because he has also come to the same conclusion independently -- selling your home sucks. And in short, I agree with him now.

That said, they need to sell. Why?

Many baby boomers are in a similar situation where for many many years, they paid their bills dutifully and then continued to pay and live a nice lifestyle until they realized at the end of their working years that there was not all that much money available to handle things that needed to be paid for, particularly if they stopped working.

Social Security to the Rescue?

So, we'll just bank on social security? Not a great plan in my option. So at this point, we're back to more traditional methods of handling your retirement. Trading up in houses over and over and paying off an expensive house with hopes of cashing out later is not a great option. The other option of having investment accounts is good, but even if my parents had done this, I don't think that they could have afforded to maintain the large house into retirement.

Mortgage Pay-Off

Thankfully, all of the parents in my family who are in the process of selling homes have significant equity in the home that will allow them to basically sell it and walk away with a nontrivial amount of profit. However, during the time that they are selling it, they spend large amounts of money on getting it ready, redecorating, and all sorts of other things.

When I have seen the struggle for the people in my life around selling their homes I have paid attention. And life will be a good teacher if you pay attention, I think. And I have. I have a mortgage on a small 2 bedroom condo. Do I wish it were bigger? Yes. But in the end, I plan to pay it off a full 25 years before I plan to retire. And I think that will make a huge difference for me because all of that money that would have otherwise gone into maintenance/repairs etc will now go into retirement and other investments to generate income for me later in life.

What's more, if I choose to slow down, I can. I am not obligated to pay a mortgage.When things look more and more tenuous with respect to the country's long-term fiscal outlook, the GAO has even said the following: "The window of opportunity for putting federal health and retirement programs on a sound footing without disruptive effects on the large population of near retirees is closing." Read more about the GAO report.

Sustainable Living

One of the things that I feared as I grew up is seeing people in my family who were a burden on each other. I don't want to involve myself in this kind of a situation. I don't think that being a burden is a good outcome. Similarly, I don't want to be in a position where I am forced to be someone else's caretaker/caregiver. So for me, the golden outcome I struggle to achieve all around in my life is one of sustainable living.

Achieving Critical Mass is a critical part of that sustainability. Once that is achieved, it no longer matters what you do with respect to your money and then one of the two most precious commodities that we have in life that constrains us (the other being time) is forever taken care of. And you're no longer worried about trading one for the other. You just live life as best you can without worrying about the outcome.




.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blogging WealthTrack: Christine Benz (Retire Early? Or not?)

 This morning I've watched an interesting video on Consuelo Mack: WealthTrack. Here, Consuelo's guest, a longtime contributor, Christine Benz, a personal finance expert from Morningstar joined Consuelo for a discussion on issues related to retirement, in particular in the current market environments. This conversation is even more interesting against the backdrop of The Great Resignation. I found Christine's advice to be particularly interesting on a couple of fronts. Her advice in dealing with talking about retirement in general, in particular for people who are in the process of thinking about retiring early gave me pause. She is considering the traditional advice of a 4 percent withdrawal rate to be dangerous and indeed, actually concerning. According to the recent research she cites, a 3% withdrawal rate is a better option. Even more than the four percent rule, I think that her comments on annuities are particularly interesting. While annuities have been given a bad nam

More Money Into Ibonds

 At this point, it seems like a well-known strategy for handling inflation: ibonds. While there was not much press about this, it is in fact something that I did late last year in order to capitalize on the fact that this interest rate was bound for up to 10000 dollars as part of my allotment for 2021. Then now that we're in the new year, I have moved another 10000 into the account. All of this can be done easily at http://treasurydirect.gov if you're willing to give up the fact that the money is locked up, that the interest rates to be paid will be somewhat lower than you could earn in the market, and you're able to ensure that you're not needing the money for the near future.  For me personally, I find that this is a great way to lock up about 25% of my emergency (safe) money instead of putting it into a High Yield Savings account. This interest rate changes every six months, but even if it is much lower, I think that we're going to be in much better shape than if

Credit Report Review

So, one of the things that I've started doing is trying to pull my credit reports at regular 4 month intervals so that I get a free one frequently to make sure that things are progressing as I'd like them to and also as a safeguard against identity theft. Of course, the part that I don't like is that these reports don't include a fico score - the key number when it comes to determining if you are going to be extended credit and at what interest rate. This time, I got the report from Equifax - I went to the end of the process and for 8 dollars more I could get my credit score. And the Equifax gave me a credit score of 742. This of course is not even close to the perfect score of 850 when it comes to fico score nirvana, but 742 is still a respectable fico score. Things to improve are basically lowering my balances on my credit cards and loans, which I already have a plan for. And also I noticed that the amount that I paid off on one of my loans is actually still being rep