Skip to main content

The Next Financial Crisis

This week, Suze Orman did a show called "Face it to Erase it". This show was not anything incredibly new but one point that she made toward the end has really made me consider some of the macro economic implications.

For example, there is a significant, nearly 800 Billion dollar outstanding credit card debt in the United States. An entire show was dedicated to people with large amounts of debts, but it became quite obvious to me that the vast majority of these people who were calling in were likely in a position to be unable to repay their debts. And these are not tiny debts. 10, 20, 40, even 80 thousand dollar debts.

Suze made the observation which was quite pointed; this is the next major financial crisis for the United States. This is important because of the fact that credit card companies and banks are in the position of adding a significant burden to individuals here as they significantly raise interest rates and reduce lines of credit. The callers and other information out there has made it clear that this is already happening.

What impact this would include is unclear. But it seems quite certain that there is a significant chance that this will further decrease retail spending over the next 12 months and that this will also increase the rates of bankruptcy. The ripple effects of this kind of situation is not clear. The FED has reduced rates to almost zero, but this does not matter if people cannot get additional lines of credit.

In this environment of decreased leverage, it is hard to imagine what the end-results of this will be....but I think that we're going to see the following trends over the next few years:

-- fewer stores and malls and an increased use of cash for transactions.
-- less consumer options; this will happen as more companies who were operating with little revenue are unable to survive.
-- options that remain will be of lower quality and higher prices as a result of decreased competition and also a desire to "recoup" costs associated with the down markets.
-- an increased interest in "safe" financial instruments like money markets and fixed income securities. Even though many people consider the demand for treasuries to be a bubble, it seems like there is going to be significant demand for government-type, safe, taxing-authority backed instruments. Income from these instruments, when compared with the yields found elsewhere is often as good or better, especially when tax-breaks are considered.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blogging WealthTrack: Christine Benz (Retire Early? Or not?)

 This morning I've watched an interesting video on Consuelo Mack: WealthTrack. Here, Consuelo's guest, a longtime contributor, Christine Benz, a personal finance expert from Morningstar joined Consuelo for a discussion on issues related to retirement, in particular in the current market environments. This conversation is even more interesting against the backdrop of The Great Resignation. I found Christine's advice to be particularly interesting on a couple of fronts. Her advice in dealing with talking about retirement in general, in particular for people who are in the process of thinking about retiring early gave me pause. She is considering the traditional advice of a 4 percent withdrawal rate to be dangerous and indeed, actually concerning. According to the recent research she cites, a 3% withdrawal rate is a better option. Even more than the four percent rule, I think that her comments on annuities are particularly interesting. While annuities have been given a bad nam

More Money Into Ibonds

 At this point, it seems like a well-known strategy for handling inflation: ibonds. While there was not much press about this, it is in fact something that I did late last year in order to capitalize on the fact that this interest rate was bound for up to 10000 dollars as part of my allotment for 2021. Then now that we're in the new year, I have moved another 10000 into the account. All of this can be done easily at http://treasurydirect.gov if you're willing to give up the fact that the money is locked up, that the interest rates to be paid will be somewhat lower than you could earn in the market, and you're able to ensure that you're not needing the money for the near future.  For me personally, I find that this is a great way to lock up about 25% of my emergency (safe) money instead of putting it into a High Yield Savings account. This interest rate changes every six months, but even if it is much lower, I think that we're going to be in much better shape than if

Credit Report Review

So, one of the things that I've started doing is trying to pull my credit reports at regular 4 month intervals so that I get a free one frequently to make sure that things are progressing as I'd like them to and also as a safeguard against identity theft. Of course, the part that I don't like is that these reports don't include a fico score - the key number when it comes to determining if you are going to be extended credit and at what interest rate. This time, I got the report from Equifax - I went to the end of the process and for 8 dollars more I could get my credit score. And the Equifax gave me a credit score of 742. This of course is not even close to the perfect score of 850 when it comes to fico score nirvana, but 742 is still a respectable fico score. Things to improve are basically lowering my balances on my credit cards and loans, which I already have a plan for. And also I noticed that the amount that I paid off on one of my loans is actually still being rep