Skip to main content

Don't Waste Time

Ok, I will admit it up front. This post is a short rant, but a rant
with some practical tips and ideas.

Frequently in my life I get bombarded by situations where my time is
wasted. And I cannot let it roll off my back all of the time. In fact,
it is probably one of my biggest pet peeves that people waste my time
without a good reason.

If I am going to be meeting you somewhere and you don't show up at the
time you said you would and don't let me know ahead of time, you're
wasting my time.

If I am going to be doing some work for you and you had told someone
else to do the same work and we both do it, you're wasting my time.

If I am waiting to make a turn and the person on the other side of the
road coming toward me has no turn signal running and then makes the
same turn as me, he's wasting my time. I could have went already,
except I had to wait because he/she didn't tell me what he/she was
planning to do.

Wasting other people's time for no reason is rude.

Key Ideas:

1. Personally, I really try to apply the golden rule to time. For me,
time can be just as valuable as money, and sometimes even more
valuable. Regardless of what people do with their time, it is probably
valuable to them.

2. Each time you interact with someone and you need something from
them, be aware of the time constraints. If you are not 100% sure about
when you need it done by, or how long it will take to get done, ask
those questions. It makes it much easier on everyone if expectations
are set up front which can be met.

3. Once you have expectations set, it is critical that as things
happen which change impact time that the information is communicated
as soon as possible to everyone involved. This gives people the
maximum amount of time to adjust.

4. Make sure that you let people know that you don't just appreciate
that they do something for you, but also that you know they are busy
and you appreciate the time that they spent on it, even if they are
not super busy. Calling attention to the sacrifice of time will likely
make them more aware of your time as well.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blogging WealthTrack: Christine Benz (Retire Early? Or not?)

 This morning I've watched an interesting video on Consuelo Mack: WealthTrack. Here, Consuelo's guest, a longtime contributor, Christine Benz, a personal finance expert from Morningstar joined Consuelo for a discussion on issues related to retirement, in particular in the current market environments. This conversation is even more interesting against the backdrop of The Great Resignation. I found Christine's advice to be particularly interesting on a couple of fronts. Her advice in dealing with talking about retirement in general, in particular for people who are in the process of thinking about retiring early gave me pause. She is considering the traditional advice of a 4 percent withdrawal rate to be dangerous and indeed, actually concerning. According to the recent research she cites, a 3% withdrawal rate is a better option. Even more than the four percent rule, I think that her comments on annuities are particularly interesting. While annuities have been given a bad nam

More Money Into Ibonds

 At this point, it seems like a well-known strategy for handling inflation: ibonds. While there was not much press about this, it is in fact something that I did late last year in order to capitalize on the fact that this interest rate was bound for up to 10000 dollars as part of my allotment for 2021. Then now that we're in the new year, I have moved another 10000 into the account. All of this can be done easily at http://treasurydirect.gov if you're willing to give up the fact that the money is locked up, that the interest rates to be paid will be somewhat lower than you could earn in the market, and you're able to ensure that you're not needing the money for the near future.  For me personally, I find that this is a great way to lock up about 25% of my emergency (safe) money instead of putting it into a High Yield Savings account. This interest rate changes every six months, but even if it is much lower, I think that we're going to be in much better shape than if

Credit Report Review

So, one of the things that I've started doing is trying to pull my credit reports at regular 4 month intervals so that I get a free one frequently to make sure that things are progressing as I'd like them to and also as a safeguard against identity theft. Of course, the part that I don't like is that these reports don't include a fico score - the key number when it comes to determining if you are going to be extended credit and at what interest rate. This time, I got the report from Equifax - I went to the end of the process and for 8 dollars more I could get my credit score. And the Equifax gave me a credit score of 742. This of course is not even close to the perfect score of 850 when it comes to fico score nirvana, but 742 is still a respectable fico score. Things to improve are basically lowering my balances on my credit cards and loans, which I already have a plan for. And also I noticed that the amount that I paid off on one of my loans is actually still being rep