Skip to main content

Emergency Fund Strategy

In terms of building an emergency fund, I've found that the "freedom
fund" strategy seems to work best for me. Although I keep almost all
of the savings in the same high-yield savings account, I allocate it
to different buckets.

Each year, I consider what the "big" and "unexpected" expenses will
be. This could be weddings and holidays, vacations, tax bills, etc
that will have to be paid throughout the year. If I am unsure, I look
at last years bills and inflate the total by a few percent. Then I
round up a little bit.

So, if I ended up with a total of 189/month would be needed, I'd make
my goal 200/month saved for these kinds of expenses. Then when they
come up, if they are less than that month's 200 dollar deposit, I just
take it out of that month's deposit. If it is more, I withdraw the
difference from the account. And if it is less, I deposit the
difference into the account. The whole time, this money is sitting in
an account that makes a nice interest rate.

The nice thing is the interest I'm making. Since these bills happen
fairly regularly (every month or two), the money is somewhat short
term. But for the short term, I make interest on the money that is
then applied to my "emergency fund". All of the interest from the
high-rate account funds my emergency fund.

This is a sum of money that I keep aside, never to be touched except
in a real emergency like a job loss, medical emergency, natural
disaster, fire etc. Currently, my goal for this fund is to have 3
months of expenses in this risk-free savings account. That, combined
with other savings and "freedom fund" money (also in that account) and
curbed spending in the face of an emergency could easily get me
through 4-6 months and I'm comfortable with that.

Once all the goals are met and debts are paid down, the goal will be
to create a fund for investing. Debt reduction will be a major
component of what happens with my finances for the next several years,
however, since I still carry a large student loan debt load. It was
money well spent, but I intend to continue to seriously attack the
balance so as to reduce interest payments over the life of the loans.

In addition to my "freedom fund" deposit, I also deposit a small token
of money into the account that I apply only to my emergency fund
target so that I always can be sure that this goal is being worked
toward. Here is a percentage breakdown of how I manage.

Emergency Fund:
1% of monthly income (deposited)
.05% of monthly income (interest)

Freedom Fund:
3% of monthly income (deposited)

The nice thing is that by having both a "freedom fund" and an
"emergency fund", you don't have to worry as much about the emergency
fund because you've already handled most of your major "emergencies"
in your freedom fund.

Categories in my freedom fund include:

Car Expenses
Excise Taxes/Water Bill
Christmas
Clothes
Entertainment
Vacation
Home Repair
Medical/Dental
New Car Down Payment

Comments

Anonymous said…
That's an interesting way to look at it. It's probably good to have an emergency fund and a "not exactly an emergency fund". You could categorize the two many different ways: long term and short term, big and small, etc. But it's a good way to think about preparing for all possible 'emergencies', since having one large fund might lead you to be unprepared for a true significant life emergency.

Popular posts from this blog

Blogging WealthTrack: Christine Benz (Retire Early? Or not?)

 This morning I've watched an interesting video on Consuelo Mack: WealthTrack. Here, Consuelo's guest, a longtime contributor, Christine Benz, a personal finance expert from Morningstar joined Consuelo for a discussion on issues related to retirement, in particular in the current market environments. This conversation is even more interesting against the backdrop of The Great Resignation. I found Christine's advice to be particularly interesting on a couple of fronts. Her advice in dealing with talking about retirement in general, in particular for people who are in the process of thinking about retiring early gave me pause. She is considering the traditional advice of a 4 percent withdrawal rate to be dangerous and indeed, actually concerning. According to the recent research she cites, a 3% withdrawal rate is a better option. Even more than the four percent rule, I think that her comments on annuities are particularly interesting. While annuities have been given a bad nam

More Money Into Ibonds

 At this point, it seems like a well-known strategy for handling inflation: ibonds. While there was not much press about this, it is in fact something that I did late last year in order to capitalize on the fact that this interest rate was bound for up to 10000 dollars as part of my allotment for 2021. Then now that we're in the new year, I have moved another 10000 into the account. All of this can be done easily at http://treasurydirect.gov if you're willing to give up the fact that the money is locked up, that the interest rates to be paid will be somewhat lower than you could earn in the market, and you're able to ensure that you're not needing the money for the near future.  For me personally, I find that this is a great way to lock up about 25% of my emergency (safe) money instead of putting it into a High Yield Savings account. This interest rate changes every six months, but even if it is much lower, I think that we're going to be in much better shape than if

Credit Report Review

So, one of the things that I've started doing is trying to pull my credit reports at regular 4 month intervals so that I get a free one frequently to make sure that things are progressing as I'd like them to and also as a safeguard against identity theft. Of course, the part that I don't like is that these reports don't include a fico score - the key number when it comes to determining if you are going to be extended credit and at what interest rate. This time, I got the report from Equifax - I went to the end of the process and for 8 dollars more I could get my credit score. And the Equifax gave me a credit score of 742. This of course is not even close to the perfect score of 850 when it comes to fico score nirvana, but 742 is still a respectable fico score. Things to improve are basically lowering my balances on my credit cards and loans, which I already have a plan for. And also I noticed that the amount that I paid off on one of my loans is actually still being rep