Skip to main content

The Coming Crises - Investing For the Future

So this weekend I listened to Bob Brinker's Moneytalk radio program and although I was aware of these issues before, I think that there is significant money to be saved and/or made on opportunities for the medium to long term investor when it comes to several major issues that are going to become pressing in the not-too-distant future. Without getting into too much detail in this post, I simply want to list them for you and provide a brief description. Finding opportunities around these issues is, of course, no small task.

Additionally, these issues are somewhat speculative. If you are planning for a disaster, you really are just hoping that one doesn't happen. So, I have to say up front that I hope none of these issues really develops into a catastrophe, but I also need to acknowledge that there is a strong likelihood that at least one of them will. Without further ado, I list the issues in my own subjective order: worst to not-so-bad.

1. Medicare - There is a huge, huge problem with the current medicare spending in the United States. Recent information that I heard on T.V. from the head of the US GAO indicates that the medicare problem is somewhere on the order of 5 to 6 times worse than Social Security. This problem is due to the fact that there are more and more old people and our medical system is getting better and better at keeping people alive for long periods of time. From a medical ethics standpoint, many people argue that we are now keeping people alive long after their lives are enjoyable. But this trend is likely to continue as we develop more medicines and cure diseases.

2. Social Security - This has about a 100% chance of being a major issue within the next 15 years. Politicians are scared to touch this and Medicare but like many financial issues, this is getting worse every day we don't do anything about it. I'm currently just hoping for about 50% of my estimated benefits when I retire, but even that might be overstating things.

3. Energy Crisis - Regardless of how you feel about Peak Oil and the theories that surround it, you cannot deny that we are facing an energy crisis. In part, this is because production is down in some parts of the world that we have come to rely upon. Vast amounts of research has been started, but there has been very little notable progress made by those researching biodiesel, wind-energy, or solar power. Increased demand in the Middle Easy and Asia due to burgeoning populations will drive the price up as the supply dwindles. The forth component in this crisis is increased demand from environmentalists for tighter restrictions on ozone and carbon-based emissions.

4. Global Warming/Climate Change - Let me state for the record that I believe in global warming. I think that the earth is resilient, but that there is a balance. And while I do believe that we are changing the earth, I also believe that the earth is changing on its own as well. But to be completely in-the-dark and oblivious to the fact that our climate and planet can and do change is just utter folly. I don't expect a 'day-after-tomorrow' scenario, but I do think that it might make sense to be aware of the longer term effects on coastline, fishing, and agriculture that could be affected as a result of even a minor climate shift.

5. Avian Flu - Statistically, there will be a new flu virus in my lifetime. Will it be a horrible strain of H5N1? I certainly hope not, but you never know. Some people but worst case scenarios of H5N1 pandemics at 50-60% mortality. This would change the face of politics, economics and literally shake our civilization to its foundations. I simply have to believe that this kind of worst-case scenario won't happen. But do I think that we could have a nasty airborne virus? I sure do.

What do you think about this list?
Do you have any that you are considering?
Would you rank these the same way as I do?


As I move forward I will start scouting for opportunities that will be based around these scenarios. Not just the worst cases of each, but also opportunities that might make money on people's preparation efforts. In general, I think that looking at some of these bigger issues is one of the more interesting ways to invest and make money.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blogging WealthTrack: Christine Benz (Retire Early? Or not?)

 This morning I've watched an interesting video on Consuelo Mack: WealthTrack. Here, Consuelo's guest, a longtime contributor, Christine Benz, a personal finance expert from Morningstar joined Consuelo for a discussion on issues related to retirement, in particular in the current market environments. This conversation is even more interesting against the backdrop of The Great Resignation. I found Christine's advice to be particularly interesting on a couple of fronts. Her advice in dealing with talking about retirement in general, in particular for people who are in the process of thinking about retiring early gave me pause. She is considering the traditional advice of a 4 percent withdrawal rate to be dangerous and indeed, actually concerning. According to the recent research she cites, a 3% withdrawal rate is a better option. Even more than the four percent rule, I think that her comments on annuities are particularly interesting. While annuities have been given a bad nam

More Money Into Ibonds

 At this point, it seems like a well-known strategy for handling inflation: ibonds. While there was not much press about this, it is in fact something that I did late last year in order to capitalize on the fact that this interest rate was bound for up to 10000 dollars as part of my allotment for 2021. Then now that we're in the new year, I have moved another 10000 into the account. All of this can be done easily at http://treasurydirect.gov if you're willing to give up the fact that the money is locked up, that the interest rates to be paid will be somewhat lower than you could earn in the market, and you're able to ensure that you're not needing the money for the near future.  For me personally, I find that this is a great way to lock up about 25% of my emergency (safe) money instead of putting it into a High Yield Savings account. This interest rate changes every six months, but even if it is much lower, I think that we're going to be in much better shape than if

Credit Report Review

So, one of the things that I've started doing is trying to pull my credit reports at regular 4 month intervals so that I get a free one frequently to make sure that things are progressing as I'd like them to and also as a safeguard against identity theft. Of course, the part that I don't like is that these reports don't include a fico score - the key number when it comes to determining if you are going to be extended credit and at what interest rate. This time, I got the report from Equifax - I went to the end of the process and for 8 dollars more I could get my credit score. And the Equifax gave me a credit score of 742. This of course is not even close to the perfect score of 850 when it comes to fico score nirvana, but 742 is still a respectable fico score. Things to improve are basically lowering my balances on my credit cards and loans, which I already have a plan for. And also I noticed that the amount that I paid off on one of my loans is actually still being rep