Thursday, December 07, 2006

Get A Refund For Using Your Phone

I just finished reading about an interesting ruling with regard to a tax on telephone and cell phone usage. This ruling stated that a refund for tax will be available for the 2006 tax form. According to the IRS, "the telephone tax refund is a one-time payment available on your 2006 federal income tax return, designed to refund previously collected long-distance federal excise taxes. It is available to anyone who paid long-distance taxes on landline, cell phone or Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) service. "

Like many items on taxes, there is a standardized refund amount of between 30 and 60 dollars and a form that will help you calculate if you can get more back: Form 8913. Using this calculated method could get you easily over 100 dollars of savings provided that you have documentation (telephone bills) from the last several years.

Go to the IRS Site FAQ about this refund to learn more.,,id=161506,00.html

Personally, this is just another reason to get going on my taxes early this year.

1 comment:

MissEm said...

Congratulations! You won the holiday haiku contest this week. Send your mailing address to to receive your free book prize!