Skip to main content

Fixing the Produce Supply Chain is Big Business for Supermarkets

Most of us remember last month's ban on spinach due to E coli, one of those nasty intestinal bugs that can easily cost you significant cash by putting you out of work, into the hospital, and for some who are really unfortunate, even kill you.

The situation is not much better for those who drank contaminated carrot juice made by bolthouse farms, the producers of one of my favorite drinks - a strawberry/banana blend of juices which are quite tasty.

In the end, there is not much to say about the ideas of prevention because in these circumstances, there is not much that can be done at the consumer level with regard to prevention. So, as was done by many, these products are simply avoided or banned by federal agencies to ensure that people don't get sick.

<b>What does this mean to your Investments?</b>

It does not take much imagination, however, to recognize that this is going to have a significant impact on your investment portfolio if you hold stocks of these companies or if you hold mutual funds that specialize in these businesses. The bottom line is that the trust that these companies had can be destroyed by a scandal of this nature and it can even effect the bottom lines of the retailers.

In my case, stop and shop and walmart are the places where I usually purchase bolthouse products. But, sure enough, after the news, the products were pulled from shelves, presumably costing these stores significant amounts in terms of wasted inventory and even more when you consider the lost profits. It is not easily seen exactly how much, but as time moves forward, it would be nice to think that these types of losses are both preventable and unnecessary.

<b>Nature Fights Back</b>

As time goes on, these "bugs" mutate. They change and become more and more resistant. And they are more potent than thought originally. So what does this mean? In simple terms, it may not be as easy as we would like to believe. Previously, using fertalizers that were non-manure seemed to significantly reduce risks, but with more resilient strains and more transmission methods, this basic safeguard doesn't seem to get the job done anymore.

Voting With Your Wallet

With no clear solution in sight, despite the O.K. signal from the government, my instinct still tells me to avoid some of these products. After all, what has really changed in terms of the screening process for these produce products? And are those changes enough to combat the resilient strains? Personally, I am not sure that the risk is worth it. I'd like to see retailers and produce farmers create a better screening and a more concrete plan to cope with this problem. That would make me comfortable as a consumer.

source: http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2006-10-30-ecoli-bottomstrip_x.htm

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blogging WealthTrack: Christine Benz (Retire Early? Or not?)

 This morning I've watched an interesting video on Consuelo Mack: WealthTrack. Here, Consuelo's guest, a longtime contributor, Christine Benz, a personal finance expert from Morningstar joined Consuelo for a discussion on issues related to retirement, in particular in the current market environments. This conversation is even more interesting against the backdrop of The Great Resignation. I found Christine's advice to be particularly interesting on a couple of fronts. Her advice in dealing with talking about retirement in general, in particular for people who are in the process of thinking about retiring early gave me pause. She is considering the traditional advice of a 4 percent withdrawal rate to be dangerous and indeed, actually concerning. According to the recent research she cites, a 3% withdrawal rate is a better option. Even more than the four percent rule, I think that her comments on annuities are particularly interesting. While annuities have been given a bad nam

More Money Into Ibonds

 At this point, it seems like a well-known strategy for handling inflation: ibonds. While there was not much press about this, it is in fact something that I did late last year in order to capitalize on the fact that this interest rate was bound for up to 10000 dollars as part of my allotment for 2021. Then now that we're in the new year, I have moved another 10000 into the account. All of this can be done easily at http://treasurydirect.gov if you're willing to give up the fact that the money is locked up, that the interest rates to be paid will be somewhat lower than you could earn in the market, and you're able to ensure that you're not needing the money for the near future.  For me personally, I find that this is a great way to lock up about 25% of my emergency (safe) money instead of putting it into a High Yield Savings account. This interest rate changes every six months, but even if it is much lower, I think that we're going to be in much better shape than if

Credit Report Review

So, one of the things that I've started doing is trying to pull my credit reports at regular 4 month intervals so that I get a free one frequently to make sure that things are progressing as I'd like them to and also as a safeguard against identity theft. Of course, the part that I don't like is that these reports don't include a fico score - the key number when it comes to determining if you are going to be extended credit and at what interest rate. This time, I got the report from Equifax - I went to the end of the process and for 8 dollars more I could get my credit score. And the Equifax gave me a credit score of 742. This of course is not even close to the perfect score of 850 when it comes to fico score nirvana, but 742 is still a respectable fico score. Things to improve are basically lowering my balances on my credit cards and loans, which I already have a plan for. And also I noticed that the amount that I paid off on one of my loans is actually still being rep