Skip to main content

Making Good Choices: Understanding the choice/wealth cycle

It seems pretty basic, but I'm surprised at how few people really think about it. In fact when I was in college, these ideas were not real to me at all. My grandfather tried to teach me the concept, but I never really grasped it. He said, "life is about managing risks." But I don't think that quite captures it. (Sorry, Papa.) Rather it isn't really just risk, its choices. Choices and wealth are directly and constantly related.

Some fake examples relating choices to wealth

1. Parents choose to spend large amounts of money on their kid's education. As a result, the kid, Jeff, takes better classes and lands a better job and makes more money than would have been made otherwise. [Good Choice = more wealth]

2. While the Jeff is at college, he decided to skip out of some key activities and therefore had less exposure to important ideas from his classes. This lost knowledge kept him behind a co-worker (Jane) and he did not get a promotion and raise as fast as his co-worker. [Bad choice = less wealth]

3. Since Jeff did not get a promotion, during a recent trip to the store, there was less money available to buy a new television set for the new apartment and he had to settle for something inferior. [Less wealth = fewer choices]

4. After just a few months with the television, a bonus 2000 dollar comes in for Jeff. Even though his new television still works great, Jeff really wanted the nicer one to begin with. So, Jeff decides to buy a new television of the more expensive model that he wanted to begin with. [Bad choice = less wealth]

5. Since Jane took the same bonus and invested it in her retirement account and let it sit for 30 years at 10% average annual interest and has 35000 extra in her account at retirement and is able to take 5 more vacations than Jeff. [more wealth = more choices later]


All of these examples are easy to understand and follow and the concept is simple. Each choice you make has an impact on your wealth. And the more wealth you have, the more choices you get to make. As you can also see, some choices are more expensive or 'risky' than others.

Each choice has a cost and a risk associated with it. I like to think that I really understand this cycle now and I am making better choices with my money than I was, even 2 years ago. All of this is not about risk. Note, there's nothing wrong with buying things you like or want. But curbing those impulses, especially the need for "the latest and greatest" might significantly improve available cashflow for investments.

But what about the little things?

There's very little risk in buying or not buying my morning coffee. Instead, its a choice: a choice to go without a small luxury now, with the understanding that I will enjoy either better or just more luxuries later. The risk of course is that if you invest the money, it could be lost, or you could die before you get to use it. Neither of those really bother me that much. If I die, it will go to people I love. I'm ok with that. And if I choose my investments carefully, I will likely not lose much if any of it and there's a much bigger chance that I will gain significant wealth.

More choices is Better

So, for me, more choices is usually better. I live a pretty good life now. But by putting off certain expenses for a few years now, I hope to give myself decades of excellent living later - in a relaxed, enjoyable environment without pressure, when I know that my body will be tired and may not have the energy that it has today.

This is a concept that I've always liked and I think it might make more sense as I evaluate my past and future choices in later posts. Especially as the retirement age grows and grows. I can't speak for everyone, but I don't think that I will want to work 40 or 50 hours a week once I am 65. And the thought of having to do that in order to pay my medical expenses makes me very comfortable about making small choices to sacrifice now.

Most choices have an economic impact

I've bought in to this concept: choices have consequences. And these consequences are often related to your wealth and therefore the next choices that you can make in life. It's a cycle. It is a simple concept, but once you acknowledge it, it becomes easier to consider the impacts before the next choice. I like the idea, but like anything, practicing it is the tough part.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blogging WealthTrack: Christine Benz (Retire Early? Or not?)

 This morning I've watched an interesting video on Consuelo Mack: WealthTrack. Here, Consuelo's guest, a longtime contributor, Christine Benz, a personal finance expert from Morningstar joined Consuelo for a discussion on issues related to retirement, in particular in the current market environments. This conversation is even more interesting against the backdrop of The Great Resignation. I found Christine's advice to be particularly interesting on a couple of fronts. Her advice in dealing with talking about retirement in general, in particular for people who are in the process of thinking about retiring early gave me pause. She is considering the traditional advice of a 4 percent withdrawal rate to be dangerous and indeed, actually concerning. According to the recent research she cites, a 3% withdrawal rate is a better option. Even more than the four percent rule, I think that her comments on annuities are particularly interesting. While annuities have been given a bad nam

More Money Into Ibonds

 At this point, it seems like a well-known strategy for handling inflation: ibonds. While there was not much press about this, it is in fact something that I did late last year in order to capitalize on the fact that this interest rate was bound for up to 10000 dollars as part of my allotment for 2021. Then now that we're in the new year, I have moved another 10000 into the account. All of this can be done easily at http://treasurydirect.gov if you're willing to give up the fact that the money is locked up, that the interest rates to be paid will be somewhat lower than you could earn in the market, and you're able to ensure that you're not needing the money for the near future.  For me personally, I find that this is a great way to lock up about 25% of my emergency (safe) money instead of putting it into a High Yield Savings account. This interest rate changes every six months, but even if it is much lower, I think that we're going to be in much better shape than if

Credit Report Review

So, one of the things that I've started doing is trying to pull my credit reports at regular 4 month intervals so that I get a free one frequently to make sure that things are progressing as I'd like them to and also as a safeguard against identity theft. Of course, the part that I don't like is that these reports don't include a fico score - the key number when it comes to determining if you are going to be extended credit and at what interest rate. This time, I got the report from Equifax - I went to the end of the process and for 8 dollars more I could get my credit score. And the Equifax gave me a credit score of 742. This of course is not even close to the perfect score of 850 when it comes to fico score nirvana, but 742 is still a respectable fico score. Things to improve are basically lowering my balances on my credit cards and loans, which I already have a plan for. And also I noticed that the amount that I paid off on one of my loans is actually still being rep