Skip to main content

Beating the minimum to invest rule - and why kids (and their families) should do it.

Double Your Money Fast
When I was in middle school and high school, I would talk to my grandfather about investing. He would talk to me and teach me neat tricks like the Rule of 72. Being interested in math and money, I was quickly interested. However, I found that the most difficult issue for me was that investing was so expensive. Even through college I was never able to get enough cash together for the minimum that was required for an initial investment in a mutual fund. My grandfather would simply say that the solution would be to save the money in a savings account until I had enough.

This was difficult and it was not until I was able to start working at a job after college and had a 401k that I was able to do this, mostly because the money was gone before I even noticed it. This brings me to the main idea here. Although many of the nicer funds that I would like to get into today have high initial minimum investments like Vanguard, I don't feel pressured or upset by that anymore. The reasons are simple: e-trade and ETFs.

Its Easier to Invest Now than it used to be
With tools like E-Trade and Sharebuilder, virtually anyone can get into the investing game. All you need is a bank account and a computer with an Internet connection. ETFs are Exchange Traded Funds. These are quite similar to mutual funds in the sense that they are not a single stock but rather a basket of stocks which means that your investments are automatically diversified.

So, with even a small amount like 250 dollars, you can reasonably start investing and building an account. Most services charge between 8-15 dollars per trade though, so it is best to choose only one particular mutual fund or etf at a time to reduce the costs. However, with even a small amount invested regularly and arranging for the dividends to be reinvested, it is simple to start building wealth.

Building a retirement account when kids are young
And since time is the biggest factor in any kind of investing, the sooner you start the better. If when you are 14, you are able to sock away 250 dollars every 3 months in this manner, that is 1000 per year, yielding an estimated 3785 dollars by the end of 3 years assuming a quarterly rate of return of 2.5%. This money at age 18 could be left alone until retirement at age 68 (with NO additional contributions) and the same kind of interest averaged at 10% yearly, to provide a retirement fund of 445,000 dollars. This is very little money for a huge retirement return.
(To be fair, the idea for these calculations came from an article on MSN Money, but I think my version is more realistic.)


Given the unstable state of Social Security, a small amount of money from relatives and odd jobs could add up to a hefty chunk of a great retirement for little grandchildren or nephews when they get old....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blogging WealthTrack: Christine Benz (Retire Early? Or not?)

 This morning I've watched an interesting video on Consuelo Mack: WealthTrack. Here, Consuelo's guest, a longtime contributor, Christine Benz, a personal finance expert from Morningstar joined Consuelo for a discussion on issues related to retirement, in particular in the current market environments. This conversation is even more interesting against the backdrop of The Great Resignation. I found Christine's advice to be particularly interesting on a couple of fronts. Her advice in dealing with talking about retirement in general, in particular for people who are in the process of thinking about retiring early gave me pause. She is considering the traditional advice of a 4 percent withdrawal rate to be dangerous and indeed, actually concerning. According to the recent research she cites, a 3% withdrawal rate is a better option. Even more than the four percent rule, I think that her comments on annuities are particularly interesting. While annuities have been given a bad nam

More Money Into Ibonds

 At this point, it seems like a well-known strategy for handling inflation: ibonds. While there was not much press about this, it is in fact something that I did late last year in order to capitalize on the fact that this interest rate was bound for up to 10000 dollars as part of my allotment for 2021. Then now that we're in the new year, I have moved another 10000 into the account. All of this can be done easily at http://treasurydirect.gov if you're willing to give up the fact that the money is locked up, that the interest rates to be paid will be somewhat lower than you could earn in the market, and you're able to ensure that you're not needing the money for the near future.  For me personally, I find that this is a great way to lock up about 25% of my emergency (safe) money instead of putting it into a High Yield Savings account. This interest rate changes every six months, but even if it is much lower, I think that we're going to be in much better shape than if

Credit Report Review

So, one of the things that I've started doing is trying to pull my credit reports at regular 4 month intervals so that I get a free one frequently to make sure that things are progressing as I'd like them to and also as a safeguard against identity theft. Of course, the part that I don't like is that these reports don't include a fico score - the key number when it comes to determining if you are going to be extended credit and at what interest rate. This time, I got the report from Equifax - I went to the end of the process and for 8 dollars more I could get my credit score. And the Equifax gave me a credit score of 742. This of course is not even close to the perfect score of 850 when it comes to fico score nirvana, but 742 is still a respectable fico score. Things to improve are basically lowering my balances on my credit cards and loans, which I already have a plan for. And also I noticed that the amount that I paid off on one of my loans is actually still being rep