Skip to main content

The High cost of Healthcare: Solution Search

The cost of healthcare are out of control. And there is not much that can be done about it. Now that the new plan has been passed we have added millions to the pool of people being covered and the reality is that we have not improved the facilities. Instead we are decreasing payments to the the providers by the government. It is an expensive proposition that's for sure. 

People are concerned about the dollars and cents. I am too. But I am concerned about the long tail effects of deliberately forcing doctors and phamacies to operate below profit margins. Even the ideas that government can force corporations to take less profit if they happen to be insurance companies is a dangerous idea I think. 

Put simply: do you have a 401k? Then you probably know that you likely own one or more of these companies. And if you want to retire, you need good returns from these stocks. 

Compensation and bonuses should be limited to some degree though. The SEC has some control here. Also we should be seriously considering tort reform and real improvements to the system like determining whether or not we have enough providers available in the right locations to discourage ER visits. 

All of these are ideas that should be looked at to reduce the real cost of healthcare which comes as the tail grows long. What alternatives do you propose? 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suze Orman Goes Too Far!

I've been a fan of Suze Orman for years. When I first started working after graduating college and then I started to make some money, my experience with other members of my family, mostly my grandparents, showed me that I needed to figure this money thing out. So, I set out to understand how money works and I found Suze. Many financial gurus are out there and for the most part, much of the advice overlaps, but Suze really seemed to be right along my line of thinking.  I bought the books, watched the show, and despite the fact that I feel like I've largely outgrown it so long as I follow the lessons, I really wanted to check up on how things were going. I went to the CNBC website and found an interview where she said this: "I do really live within my means. I have absolutely no debt. If I don't have the money to write a check, then I can't afford it. I never, ever, ever spend old money, so I'm only allowed by my own standards to buy something new with new mone...

Do Better With Your Time

Recently, I've been extremely busy with some work commitments. The interesting thing for me is that this increased work activity has really helped crystallize some of my feelings with regard to time. And these ideas are a critical part about my view on personal finance. I'm curious to know if others feel similarly. Time is money. That is, Time, in some way, contains energy. Money, is also energy. In the act of working, I am able to compound and increase the amount of money that I have. I am exchanging my time and effort and thought which are components of my work, for the productivity that I produce. And this production gets me money from my employer. However, the first dollars that I make each day, week, or month are the most valuable. Then the ones that I make at the end are the most valuable. (Forget about taxes for a minute.) The reason is, the first ones help me have a place to live and food to eat. And the last ones are the ones that I can use to really improve my life lo...

Credit Report Review

So, one of the things that I've started doing is trying to pull my credit reports at regular 4 month intervals so that I get a free one frequently to make sure that things are progressing as I'd like them to and also as a safeguard against identity theft. Of course, the part that I don't like is that these reports don't include a fico score - the key number when it comes to determining if you are going to be extended credit and at what interest rate. This time, I got the report from Equifax - I went to the end of the process and for 8 dollars more I could get my credit score. And the Equifax gave me a credit score of 742. This of course is not even close to the perfect score of 850 when it comes to fico score nirvana, but 742 is still a respectable fico score. Things to improve are basically lowering my balances on my credit cards and loans, which I already have a plan for. And also I noticed that the amount that I paid off on one of my loans is actually still being rep...