Skip to main content

Three Tax Tips

The time has come again where I am preparing to do taxes for 2008. This year, like most years in the past, I am actually looking forward to doing my taxes. Fortunately, my W2 form came a little earlier than the January 31 deadline, so I was able to start early.

Many people recommend going to a professional to do taxes to avoid any mistakes. If you have a complicated return or are uneasy for some other reason, then I would definitely go that route. Personally, the first year I started my business, I made an appointment at H+R Block to get my taxes taken care of. As for the subsequent years though, I simply did the taxes online.

Over the past several years of doing taxes though, I've definitely learned some key tips that have really helped.

1. Make sure you adjust your tax withholding. If you have a business, you may find that you tend to owe taxes. In this age of shrinking economy, you don't want to be in that position next year, so make sure to pay quarterly taxes and/or increase your withholding at your primary job. This will help you by giving you some assurance that you will get a refund.

2. Know your deductions. Most people have specific situations due to business, retirement account, property, children, and dependents that impact taxes and deductions. Some of these things cannot be deducted after the fact though if there is not planning and proof. If you have had dramatic life changes, it can help to see a professional, if not to save money this year, at the very least to save money next year. An example for me is that the mortgage deduction shrinks each year so it is important to adjust accordingly.

3. Finally, make sure that you know your marginal tax rate. In the event that you are trying to make contributions to retirement accounts or do other tax planning, it is important to be aware of this. As salaries increase and income rises, these can change and start to make a dramatic difference. This is especially important for small business owners as the brackets can change by between 5 and 10%. A change this dramatic can effectively erase your profit margin for the final dollars you make each year if you're not careful.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suze Orman Goes Too Far!

I've been a fan of Suze Orman for years. When I first started working after graduating college and then I started to make some money, my experience with other members of my family, mostly my grandparents, showed me that I needed to figure this money thing out. So, I set out to understand how money works and I found Suze. Many financial gurus are out there and for the most part, much of the advice overlaps, but Suze really seemed to be right along my line of thinking.  I bought the books, watched the show, and despite the fact that I feel like I've largely outgrown it so long as I follow the lessons, I really wanted to check up on how things were going. I went to the CNBC website and found an interview where she said this: "I do really live within my means. I have absolutely no debt. If I don't have the money to write a check, then I can't afford it. I never, ever, ever spend old money, so I'm only allowed by my own standards to buy something new with new mone...

Do Better With Your Time

Recently, I've been extremely busy with some work commitments. The interesting thing for me is that this increased work activity has really helped crystallize some of my feelings with regard to time. And these ideas are a critical part about my view on personal finance. I'm curious to know if others feel similarly. Time is money. That is, Time, in some way, contains energy. Money, is also energy. In the act of working, I am able to compound and increase the amount of money that I have. I am exchanging my time and effort and thought which are components of my work, for the productivity that I produce. And this production gets me money from my employer. However, the first dollars that I make each day, week, or month are the most valuable. Then the ones that I make at the end are the most valuable. (Forget about taxes for a minute.) The reason is, the first ones help me have a place to live and food to eat. And the last ones are the ones that I can use to really improve my life lo...

Credit Report Review

So, one of the things that I've started doing is trying to pull my credit reports at regular 4 month intervals so that I get a free one frequently to make sure that things are progressing as I'd like them to and also as a safeguard against identity theft. Of course, the part that I don't like is that these reports don't include a fico score - the key number when it comes to determining if you are going to be extended credit and at what interest rate. This time, I got the report from Equifax - I went to the end of the process and for 8 dollars more I could get my credit score. And the Equifax gave me a credit score of 742. This of course is not even close to the perfect score of 850 when it comes to fico score nirvana, but 742 is still a respectable fico score. Things to improve are basically lowering my balances on my credit cards and loans, which I already have a plan for. And also I noticed that the amount that I paid off on one of my loans is actually still being rep...