Skip to main content

Changing Behavior Isn't Easy

A few weeks back, there was a short article on InvestorGeeks about "Why the Poor will Always Be With Us". I found the article thought-provoking, but the point made by <a href=" http://jason.strangerstudios.com/">Jason</a> was particularly interesting.

Jason Commented:

<begin comments>

I'm thinking of my father, who in 2001 bought a brand new Jeep Grand Cherokee because he "needed something to make him happy". It didn't matter that a lot of what made him unhappy were financial problems, which the extra $20k he paid for that car vs. a comparable used car would have helped him out with.

I'm thinking of the guy you know who lives in assisted housing but has a more jewelry than you do and better stereo system than you do.

If either one of the people in the above scenarios had $30k in a "retirement account" they could gain access to, they would find a reason to spend it. The money feels idle and psychologically these people enjoy the scenarios and stories they get themselves into as "broke" people. They've been broke all their lives. They're used to it. They're comfortable with the idea in the same way a battered wife is comfortable. If they had money, they would feel bad for all of their broke friends. If they had money, they would have nothing to talk about anymore because a lot of their discussion revolve around their lack of money.

<end comments>

Personally, my personal experience in life has shown me that this is true for some people; often times with people I am very close to. I don't think that there is any magic wand that can be waved to change people's behavior.

Some people, in fact, when pressed about their lack of motivation to make positive changes in their lives will get very defensive. I find this to be upsetting and inevitably generates a rift between you and the other person.

Similar to other issues which can have psychological roots, our treatment of money can become addictive. We can become addicted to trading, or investing. We can become addicted to becoming apathetic and lazy about our money. Behavior is repeated over and over and over again for most people.

I've recently applied the idea that I cannot force anyone to change to financial matters. However, by blogging and being up-front about what I am doing in my own finances, I have become more confident. And naturally it has helped people around me to start investigating their own finances and ask questions and get advice.

I don't think its about being right or wrong. Rather, it is about taking control and being responsible for the outcome of your actions (or lack thereof). Once we make conscious choices, we can be confident that they were the right ones and become content and satisfied. It's when we don't focus on finances that problems start surfacing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suze Orman Goes Too Far!

I've been a fan of Suze Orman for years. When I first started working after graduating college and then I started to make some money, my experience with other members of my family, mostly my grandparents, showed me that I needed to figure this money thing out. So, I set out to understand how money works and I found Suze. Many financial gurus are out there and for the most part, much of the advice overlaps, but Suze really seemed to be right along my line of thinking.  I bought the books, watched the show, and despite the fact that I feel like I've largely outgrown it so long as I follow the lessons, I really wanted to check up on how things were going. I went to the CNBC website and found an interview where she said this: "I do really live within my means. I have absolutely no debt. If I don't have the money to write a check, then I can't afford it. I never, ever, ever spend old money, so I'm only allowed by my own standards to buy something new with new mone...

Do Better With Your Time

Recently, I've been extremely busy with some work commitments. The interesting thing for me is that this increased work activity has really helped crystallize some of my feelings with regard to time. And these ideas are a critical part about my view on personal finance. I'm curious to know if others feel similarly. Time is money. That is, Time, in some way, contains energy. Money, is also energy. In the act of working, I am able to compound and increase the amount of money that I have. I am exchanging my time and effort and thought which are components of my work, for the productivity that I produce. And this production gets me money from my employer. However, the first dollars that I make each day, week, or month are the most valuable. Then the ones that I make at the end are the most valuable. (Forget about taxes for a minute.) The reason is, the first ones help me have a place to live and food to eat. And the last ones are the ones that I can use to really improve my life lo...

Credit Report Review

So, one of the things that I've started doing is trying to pull my credit reports at regular 4 month intervals so that I get a free one frequently to make sure that things are progressing as I'd like them to and also as a safeguard against identity theft. Of course, the part that I don't like is that these reports don't include a fico score - the key number when it comes to determining if you are going to be extended credit and at what interest rate. This time, I got the report from Equifax - I went to the end of the process and for 8 dollars more I could get my credit score. And the Equifax gave me a credit score of 742. This of course is not even close to the perfect score of 850 when it comes to fico score nirvana, but 742 is still a respectable fico score. Things to improve are basically lowering my balances on my credit cards and loans, which I already have a plan for. And also I noticed that the amount that I paid off on one of my loans is actually still being rep...